Wedding Planning 101

Planning a wedding is a very interesting thing. I have planned a lot of events throughout the years, but planning your own wedding takes the cake. Here's why:
No idea: I decided years ago not to 'plan' my own wedding until I was engaged. I didn't imagine the dress, the cake, the venue, the lights, etc. I wanted to wait until I was engaged to venture down those processes in my mind, partly because I thought that would be better for my heart in not preparing for a potential wedding with whomever I was dating and I didn't want to get things in my head and then decide something different later. When I did get engaged, everyone expected me to already have things in mind of what I wanted, including my mom. So, I was actually starting from scratch. And, I had always said I would always take 9 to 12 months to plan one, ha.
The dress: Having nothing in mind when I went dress shopping was interesting. The dress shops expect you to have 'some' idea. Well, ma'am I've never tried on a wedding dress before so I don't really know what I want. Fortunately Kristi went with me and she knows alot about dresses from working at Bella Bridesmaid, this was very helpful! Now, every wedding planning organizer or book out there tells you to have a budget. Before you plan anything, buy anything, think about anything...get a budget. So, I of course ask Mom what we are working with and she responds with "we'll figure it out"...uhhhh wrong answer. I love my mom but the more I ask about budgets, the less of a response I get. Hence - Ginny spends too much on a wedding dress without knowing it and is now fighting off the feelings of "oh crap". Don't get me wrong, I love my dress...and I ordered a veil and shoes as well, but having had a set budget would've been helpful.
The place: Adam and I drove around Charlotte one day and then decided we wanted to try and see places to get married at the beach. Loved this idea, Love the beach, Love Adam. However, don't Love the prices. Problem #2, me picking out a location by myself. Pallie went with me and Mom the first time as we looked at the potential at having it at Holden Beach Chapel and the reception at Rebecca and Joel's family's house. Beautiful idea, except when Adam and I started the guest list and realized we would probably have too many people to do it in the house. My mom and I have different ideas of what we think is 'cool'. She would have loved that idea, a big party at a house with people everywhere. I'm kindof OCD and like to have people all in one big room/area. Anyway, they have this big festival that weekend which would've been cool other than the fact it's next to the chapel. Then the next time I went down, we looked at the Ocean Isle Chapel and The Isles restaurant. Love both these places. And I mean love them. Decision made. Oh wait...back to the budget? Yep. No moulah....no beach wedding. What about a tent? What about this place or that place? Charlotte? Yeah, let's look there...again. Most churches in Charlotte won't let you have a wedding there without being a member. The church I'm a member at has a fall festival the day we need it for, so no such luck. The country club is only open on the one day we were looking at...so that's working out. With Katie's help, we can have the wedding at one of the churches in Mint Hill. Fortunately, I have a definite photographer and DJ. Now back to flowers and cakes. Is anyone exhausted yet reading this? Did I mention I don't have a job? The bonus to having the wedding in Charlotte is that Adam can actually be here to see the places. I don't like making these decisions by myself, so to have his input will be mucho helpful, at least for my peace of mind.
The truth: Noone tells you the truth. Mom expected me to want a super traditional big ball gown dress. So did most people. Katie thought I would want classic invitations...the funny thing is...people think I'm super classic because of what I wear, and the irony is, If I could afford to be a little more trendy and out of the box, I would. So it's interesting when people think you're going to pick out one thing, and then you pick out the other. I wouldn't have picked a 'traditional MH wedding" but....my bank account differs. And I feel like when you're engaged and the bride, noone actually wants to give you their real input. They are afraid to make you upset or something. I want input people. Please give me your opinions. Too many big decisions to make on your own. They say other than accepting Christ, this is the biggest decision you'll ever make. Well...the celebration of the biggest decision you'll ever make on the biggest day of your life...don't minimize it, it IS a big deal.
The goal: is to be married at the end of the day. I am so excited for it, and definitely feel like these challenges have been eating at me...I can't sleep late...that's how I know it's bothering me. I've been trying so hard not to be one of those people that all they talk about is the wedding. Really, I don't want to talk about it all the time, but I guess I don't trust my own taste or decision making because I just keep asking people what they think. All I'm doing right now is attempting to plan this thing, I don't have a job, I have like two friends that are free to do things with, and it's alot on your shoulders to do every day. I've had lots of great things happen along the way, help from family and friends on the little things...God's definitely been providing, it's just been a whirlwind trying to get everything to fall into place.
What I think: Everyone should hire a wedding planner. This was the reason I wanted to be one, so I could help people do this and them not be stressed out. If I had someone else doing the research and helping me find locations, someone that knows the venues, the lesser expensive vendors...I know how much that helps. Especially when I was looking in places that weren't my hometown, but even now, looking in my hometown it is hard. Although, if you have the right connections and the right amount of money, you can make anything happen. Haha...life is that way isn't it? I'm going to continue and do things the other way, and let God provide in his time. Even if it drives me out of my mind.

Comments

Lauren said…
Amen.

I'm exhausted reading this, and then thinking about all the things we have yet to do....Which is a lot, and seems like even more without Adrian being in town.

Anyways, I feel you pain in trying to do it all "a certain way" without any strong inclination one way or another and without anyone to tell you what really is a good option. You can do it! Lots of people have and you will too.

Popular posts from this blog

Things...

Fish on Land

I think I offend people