The right side of the track

I went to the park today. It was a beautiful spring day. The Carolina blue skies were bluer than ever and the grass smelled like springtime. As I was walking up to the track and turned on my Ipod, there was a mom and daughter at a picnic table with a cute little basket and a checkered tablecloth. It was like a scene out of a movie. There were a few kids playing soccer on the field and you could hear some down on the playground. I started walking. As I was walking, I noticed that I always walk on the outside of the track. When I run, sometimes, I'm tempted to run on the inside...it's just a tad bit shorter. I would end up not going the full distance if I were to run on the inside of the track. Today, I decided I wasn't going to run on the inside...if I ever had before, and made a commitment to never run on the inside again. Why? Because I didn't think I'd be pushing myself enough. I wouldn't be giving 110 percent. If I'm going to run this race of life, and run it as though I'm running for the prize...I can't do that and cheat myself.
I went to my brother's baseball game tonight. He is an awesome baseball player and awesome guy all around. He plays for Charlotte Christian and he can hit the ball with the best of them. His game started at 7 and I got there a little late. There were two people sitting at the gate and charging admission because it was a wooden bat tournament in honor of Jack Sink, the old coach at Myers Park. She asks me "are you a student?" For a split second, I considered, saying yes...but thankfully it was only a split second, and I said "not anymore". She then looked at me and said "thanks for being honest". I still paid the full five dollars for being an adult but my being honest, was me...running on the outside of the track. It's a lesson I really want to put into practice in my life. No halfway doing things. No giving up. Perservering.
2 Timothy 1:7 says,
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."
Why would I want to live my life any different?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things...

Fish on Land

I think I offend people