Traditions...

Yesterday was the fourth of July. I went to the beach, Wilmington, then to my dad's house in Calabash, and then to Raleigh to hang out with some fun people and watch fireworks. Overall, a great week. My grandmother still collects and keeps out an enormous amount of 'stuff'. But that's just her. My grandpa is 84 and still mowing the grass and has a garden, it's just him. My aunt Sharlene, is still in self-improvement mode. We visited with the Humphries, Karen and Nancy's parents at Myrtle and hung out with Kendall and Karen and the boys. Lots of fun. I got some sun (a little). :)
I got a text from Pallie, it said "this is our holiday gin, happy fourth of july, i miss you" and then Todd, Jay, Shae and I were having conversation about traditions and it got me to thinking. When I was younger we always went to Badin Lake for the 4th, we had a place there, (my aunt and uncle live there still) and on the 4th they would have a boat parade at noon, and we would eat hamburgers and hotdogs and make homemade ice cream and then at night we would get in the boat and go down to the alcoa dam and watch the fireworks from the water. It was awesome. My bathing suit would always turn brown from the water and I'd always get a little pink, and my sister and I would sleep on the floor because it was more fun. Then after we sold the place, I started going with Pallie to Pine Lake and we would play in the pool all day, lay out, drink sweet tea, play bingo, a water balloon toss ( I think we still hold the record) and then everyone in Mint Hill would go up to the clubhouse and watch the fireworks from there. We would always have a huge blanket and we would all lie on our backs and watch them. Pal and I spent some 4ths at the beach with Dad. Those were always memorable too. We would hang out on the Sunset Beach pier with Dad and eat grilled cheese with curly fries-that he made of course - and cheerwine and just sit at the counter and hang out while all the tourons (that's a mix between a tourist and a moron, he called them) would come in and out and pay 50 cent to walk on the pier. Then we would sit up all hours into the night on the front porch talking about who knows what. Last year I was in Monaco watching fireworks over the Mediterranean during the World Cup. This year - in Raleigh... and so we start new traditions. It's kindof fun. Hanging out with Rebecca and her fiance' in the house they are putting so much work into together :). I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else last night, other than with my friends on Edwards Mill Road watching the sunset while the boys play football and you can smell the grass and the cowfields and summer.
I just really love life right now. It's so pleasant and not stressful and God just has it all in his hands. And I'm young. We're young. So there's plenty of time to start new traditions. Each holiday has its own. Those are just my 4th of July stories, and everyone has their own. Whether they are at the beach, the river, the mountains... or in your backyard blowing up things ;). It's funny to think about all the little things we do. Life is about making memories! I'm so excited about that.

Comments

Jay said…
yeah thats what i'm talking about!

(as i break into song, "redneck yacht club!" haha)
Ginny said…
haha, that song is hilarious. but no, we are not rednecks. wait... maybe we are?
Rebecca said…
seeing you seriously made my day yesterday! so glad we got to hang out! i miss you!
shellyeve said…
i'm bummed i couldn't be there with ya'll - but i'm so glad you are happy and doing well!
shellyeve said…
umm yeah - you've been tagged. see my blog for details :)

Popular posts from this blog

Things...

Fish on Land

I think I offend people