Gettin' down to the root of things...

Yesterday I pulled weeds. Adam mowed the grass (what a man!) and I decided I'd get down in the dirt too :) I love planting flowers and trees and bushes. I am hoping to have a garden in the next year or two ish. And I even love pulling weeds. I probably love doing this because it's instant gratification. I enjoy painting, vacuuming, sweeping, and other things that make things look nice instantly. I even like washing my car! I know, I'm so weird.
While I was pulling weeds yesterday I had a tough one. It's root was right near the root of one of the planted bushes. Low and behold, I pull out what looks like a huge onion bulb! I laughed out loud and of course had to show Adam. Look honey, a big root of a weed! It got me to thinkin'.
When you pull a weed out, if you don't pull it completely out by it's root, it is going to come back. Such is life. When you have an issue, an argument, a problem you can't seem to get resolved...you have to get down to the root of it or it's going to come back! Surface level stuff is for losers :)
What I am learning in my recent bible study is that everything has to come from 'somewhere'. Here's what the bible says that 'somewhere' is.

What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? James 4:1.


When we argue, it's almost always because we aren't getting what we want, or we're getting what we don't want. Instead, in every situation, we should ask God "How would you like me to respond?" and respond in that way. His answers are in Ephesians 4. (as well as a lot of other places). 
Once we figure out what our desires are and learn to respond to God in a way that honors him and others, we'll argue less! It's so true, try it! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things...

Fish on Land

I think I offend people